Women Harassment: How to register complaint?

The Complaints and Counseling Cell of the commission processes all the complaints whether received orally, written or suo moto under Section 10 of the NCW Act.

The complaints received relate to domestic violence, harassment, dowry, torture, desertion, bigamy, rape, refusal to register FIR, cruelty by husband, deprivation, gender discrimination and sexual harassment at work place.

The complaints are dealt with as below :-

  • Investigations by the police are expedited and monitored.
  • The matters are brought to the notice of various state authorities to facilitate action.
  • Family disputes are resolved or compromised through counseling.
  • As per the 1997 Supreme Court Judgment on Sexual Harassment at Workplace, ( Vishakha Vs. State of Rajasthan ) every employer is required to provide for effective complaints procedures and remedies including award of compensation to women victims. In sexual harassment complaints, the concerned organisation is urged to expedite cases and the disposal is monitored.
  • For serious crimes, the Commission constitutes an Inquiry Committee which makes spot enquiries, examines witnesses, collects evidence and submits
    the report with recommendations. The implementation of the report is monitored by the NCW.
    The Commission has powers to summon the accused, witnesses and records to facilitate inquiry.

The State Commissions, the NGOs and other experts are involved in these efforts.

Cases falling under following categories are ordinarily not entertained by the Commission.

  • Complaints illegible or vague, anonymous or pseudonymous; or
  • The Complaint relates to civil dispute between the parties such as contractual rights obligations and the like;
  • The Complaint relates to service matters not involving any deprivation of women's rights;
  • The Complaint relates to labour/industrial disputes not involving any deprivation of womens rights:
  • Matter is sub judice before a Court/Tribunal;
  • The Commission shall not inquire into any matter which is pending before a State Commission or any other Commission duly constituted under any law for the time being in force.
  • Matter already decided by the Commission
Post your complaints here: http://ncw.nic.in/ncwcomplaint1/complaintentry.asp

Create a Link


Abishek Goda said…
Quite an useful piece. But thiru, any idea about the privacy of the complainant? Just curious.

Popular Posts